My-Chevy-Venture.com

Chevy Venture Community
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: security light
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:05 am 

i own a 2000 chevy venture and i am always having problems with this van. my latest problem is that my security light is coming on. my manual says it is a pass-key III problem. does anybody know how serious this is and if it could be a simple fix?

thanks
kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:00 am 

Does your engine shut off while you are driving? Errors in the Passkey3 system will not shut off your engine while you are driving.

I had a similar issue with my security light coming on, and my engine would shut off while I was driving. Turned out to be a short in the ECU fuse. The terminal block (where the fuse plugs in) had a worn connection, and a new plug for the ECU fuse had to be spliced in. This was in the fuse block under the hood, not the one near the glovebox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:28 am 

i think is was my battery. sometimes it wouldnt start so i didnt think it was a battery problem. the dashboard lights came on when i went to start it but it wouldnt start but the radio didnt come on. i got someone to look at it and he said if i jump it and it starts up then it could be the battery. as soon as i got a jump it started right up, the security light went off and the radio came on. i got a new battery this morning so i shall see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:26 am 

I hope your battery works for you. In case it does not, please see the details of my previous issue below.

In my 2001 Venture LS, I had the same problem with it sometimes not starting. The starter might kick for a fraction of a second, then die. Sometimes the starter would not kick at all. Jump starting or even waiting a few minutes before turning the key again would work. I replaced the battery, and the problem went away for a few months.

After about three months, the problem came back. I had a major issue one night. the engine stopped while I was driving in my neighborhood. All of my accessories would work when I turned the key, but the engine would not turn. I jumped it, and the van died immediately after I shut the hood. After several more jump start attempts, the van started and ran long enough to drive it back home.

I took it on a trip, and the engine stopped while driving on the highway. The first time, I shifted into neutral and restarted the engine. The second time, it would not restart, and the Security light kept illuminating. I had the van towed to a dealership thinking that it had a Passkey3 failure. They diagnosed the loose ECU fuse terminal and replaced it. I haven't had a problem starting the van, or keeping it running, since.